Monday, August 30, 2010

Installment thirty-six


On our previous entry, Mr. Gregory fainted when he saw that the woman
rescued from drowning was his wife.
____________________________________________________
Installment thirty-six:

"Mr. Wilson," said Mrs. Gregory, as she lay in her stateroom the next day,
"I must tell you why I've sent for you. My husband here must know also.
"I was at the service yesterday in the parlor and heard Mr. Anderson
discuss the Sabbath question; and while I am ashamed to say it, I was
really angry at some things that were said. I didn't like to hear them, and
I didn't want others to hear. And, of course, I blamed you. Someone had
told me that it was because of your relations with Mr. Anderson that the
service was held; and when, at the last, I heard you say, 'Amen,' I said to
myself, 'I wish that young upstart would fall overboard and deliver us
from any more Sabbath talk.'
"After the meeting, I came to my room and tried to forget the whole thing;
but I couldn't, so I returned to the parlor. As I saw you still there, I was
more bitter than ever. I passed the parlor door; but as I did so, my feelings
overcame me. I grew dizzy and -well, I knew no more until I awakened on
deck and learned that I had been delivered. And you, the object of my evil
wishes, were chosen of God to be my rescuer!
Mr. Wilson, I am begging your forgiveness. I am also going to ask you to
take out your Bible and tell me more about the truth which I have been
trying to reject."
Harold humbly acknowleged his great ignorance and asked if she would
not rather study with Mr. Anderson.
"Do you think he would be willing to come?" she asked.
"Oh, I am sure he would" was the reply. Harold hastened to bring his
friend.
"Mr. Anderson," said Mrs. Gregory, "I am deeply in earnest today. My
husband and I want to learn more. The terrible happening yesterday
was from God to correct us and make us willing to receive unadulterated
teaching. Now what I want to ask is, Why do you specially emphasize the
question of the seventh-day Sabbath? Does God require you to do it?
And why is it that so many people, especially the ministers, are so
determined not to listen to your message?"
"Sister, your questions are rather broad, and really require more study
than the circumstances will permit. However, they are to the point, and
I am glad the Scriptures can give you an answer."
__________________________________________________
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment