Monday, August 9, 2010

Installment Twenty


Our previous installment left Dr. Spaulding under strong pressure to
produce real answers to the Sabbath question.
____________________________________________________
Installment Twenty:

Everybody present now realized the hopelessness of Dr. Sapulding's
position. While they shared the judge's desire for fair play, they in-
wardly wished for something to happen that would relieve the man
of his embarrassment. Providentially, something did "happen."
"Dr. Spaulding, may I interrupt to ask if you can give us some light
on the subject of the date line. Tonight we must drop a day from our
reckoning. Tomorrow, therefore, instead of having a Tuesday, we
shall have a Wednesday. What effect, as you understand it, does
this change have upon the matter of a definite day of the week as
Sabbath?"
The questioner was Mr. Severance, A San Francisco merchant who
had often made the trans-Pacific trip and who was therefore fully
informed regarding the problem of the date line.
Dr. Spaulding quickly brightened at the mention of the date line
and smilingly consented to give his opinion. In fact, he was making
an effort to reach this particular point when interrogated by the
judge.
"I am glad you introduce this question, sir. I will venture a brief
statement.
I suppose all are aware that in crossing the Pacific Ocean east or
west, a day must be added or dropped. Going west we are obliged
to skip a day; and going east, to repeat a day. For instance, tonight
we shall retire during the hours of Monday, and tomorrow morning
we shall wake up to find that we are passing through the hours of
Wednesday. We shall have no Tuesday at all.
Now, suppose I ardently believe in the absolute sacredness of Saturday.
I am going to the Philippines. I reach the date line Friday evening and
begin to keep my Sabbath. Then I retire with a worshipful spirit,
anticipating the joys of the holy time for the morning. I wake up. It's
morning, but lo; instead of Saturday, my good captain tells me it's
Sunday!
Then I become confused. The thing bewilders me. I thought my theory
correct, but find it incorrect. The fourth commandment, I discover,
doesn't fit a big, round world. My Sabbath slipped away from me
without even so much as a farewell. If I keep any day at all, I have
to keep Sunday.
I think you will all agree with me that, I will come to the conclusion
that God never meant that seventh day for me, at least while crossing
the Pacific; for when I tried to keep it, I could not."
"May I ask a question?" said Mr. Severance.
"Certainly," replied the minister.
"I observe Sunday and live in San Francisco. Do you believe I really
can keep Sunday in that city?"
"Yes, because in San Francisco the days come to you regularly."
"Would it be possible for me to have my Sunday in Tokyo?"
"Certainly," was Dr. Spaulding's response, "and for the same reason."
"Now, Dr. Spaulding, you say the day travels. It must then have some
place at which it begins its journey. And, likewise, someplace at which
it ends its journey. What place is that? If you are willing to yield the
floor for a time, I'd like to have a few words from our captain."
"Captain Mann! Captain Mann! came the call from all directions. All
eyes were turned on him.
_______________________________________________
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment