Monday, September 13, 2010

Installment forty-three


At the end of our previous installment Harold Wilson was coming back in
the cabin to retrieve his Bible just as Dr. Spaulding was reading from it.
____________________________________________________
Installment forty-three:

"Sit down, my boy,: said Mr. Gregory. "We're just about to have prayer
with Dr. Spaulding."
That sounded strange to Harold; and what was stranger, his Bible was in
Dr. Spaulding's hands. What did it mean?
Dr. Spaulding soon satisfied Harold's curiosity by explaining the circums-
tances, and then, in a gentle and fatherly way, said, "Son, what is the
meaning of the word 'Mother' signed to this note here? I am interested
because the words sound so much like the words of my own mother, who
was accustomed also to mark her Bible."
Gladly indeed did Harold relate the story of his faithful mother, of his effort
to escape her influence, of the marked Bible which he found at sea and later
threw away, of his life in sin, of his trial and sentence, of the marked Bible at
the Oakland Pier - marked by request of his mother while she was on her
deathbed - of Mr. Anderson's acquaintance with the dear mother, and of
Captain Mann and his experience. All this and much more seemed to Harold
a chapter stranger than fiction, and he told it as only one who bleieves in an
overshadowing providence can.
"And that's why I am trying to follow my saviour," said Harold. "My mother's
prayer has been answered through Mr. Anderson. The verse you have just
read is my special guide, and I wrote my name under the word 'Mother,' so
I could say in my heart I was endorsing her message."
Dr. Spaulding prayed. The Spirit of God was there. As he prayed, his heart
broke before God. Mr. and Mrs. Gregory shared fully his blessing of spiritual
uplift. When he prayed for Harold, "the hero of faith" of the day before, and
for Mr. Anderson, "the devoted brother who sought truly to reveal Christ,"
Harold's cup was full.
The prayer ended. Harold quietly withdrew, and Dr. Spaulding also hastened
to his cabin.
But before going back to work, Harold went to Mr. Anderson's quarters and
told him what had occurred in Mr. Gregory's cabin.
"Thank God," said the minister, "the day of miracles is not past."

No comments:

Post a Comment