Thursday, July 29, 2010

Installment Eleven


On our previous installment we left Harold Wilson at the moment we he's
meeting Mr. Anderson, who not only knew about him, but also about his
mother and the two Bibles she had marked for him.
_____________________________________________________
"Are you her son, Harold?"
"Indeed I am, sir; and now I believe you have been sent to show me the
way to Christ. Oh, Mr. Anderson, if there is a remedy for my follies, I want
it, and I want it now! I'm a thief, a drunkard, a gambler, a wretch without
a country, a sinner without a God. Can you help me?"
The finding of Harold Wilson seemed so wonderfully beautiful to Mr. Anderson,
so providential, so timely, that his faith laid hold upon the promise of God; an
in a wise, tactful, soul-winning way, he led him to the Master's feet. The
surrender was complete; founded on an intelligent grasp of revealed truth;
and the young man was happy in God.
When the story of Harold's life and conversion came to be known, he was
pointed out by both passengers and crew as "the man with the marked
Bible."
Captain Mann, while a devoted Christian, was nevertheless quite limited
in his knowledge of the Scriptures. So now he became much concerned
lest Harold should be deluded by the "false teachings" of Mr. Anderson.
This concern grew even stronger when the captain learned about the
frequent appointments Harold was making with Mr. Anderson. Now he
sought to counteract the pastor's influence.
"What does this mean?" thought Harold to himself, as he meditated
upon Captain Mann's opposition. "Here are two good men, both of whom
seem honest, yet each one is certain that the other is wrong. I am sure
Captain Mann had his prayers answered and saved my life, and I am
sure Mr. Anderson had his prayers answered in leading me to be a
Christian. What shall I do? I certainly cannot follow both, for they
seem to be going in opposite directions.
_________________________________________________
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment